Sunday, March 8, 2015

Crock-Pot Chicken Marinara

When I saw this recipe I knew it was for me!  Crock Pot + Italian = Perfect meal!!!!  It doesn't get much easier than this.  It reminds me of the salsa chicken recipe my friend Allison shared with me (a jar of salsa and a few frozen chicken breasts and voila).  I am going to prep it on Sunday night and cook it all day Monday.  Easy Peasy! 

Crock Pot Chicken Marinara
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
30 oz diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 medium onion
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red wine
1 Tbsp honey or agave
1-2 Tbsp chopped basil
1-2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Directions:
1.  Mix all ingredients (not including the chicken breasts) together in a blender/food processor (must hold at least 5 cups) and blend for about 30 seconds until ingredients are mixed well.
2.  Pour the sauce into the crock pot and add the chicken (mine was frozen)and cook on low heat for at least 7 hours.3.  After 7 hours, you will notice the sauce looks very runny, this is normal.  Remove crock pot from heating base, shred chicken with a wooden spoon or spatula and as it cools, the shredded chicken will absorb the juices from the pasta sauce.
Tips:

  • I like to make my own pasta sauce at home so that I can avoid the added sugars and other unwanted ingredients.  You can use the store-bought pasta sauce but try to avoid the brands with a lot of added sugar, preservatives, etc.  Muir Glen is usually a pretty good choice if your store carries it.
  • This recipe is very versatile so we sometimes add chopped zucchini, celery, red bell pepper, and sliced onion.
  • You can add red or white wine to the sauce.
  • You can simplify this recipe by adding 3-4 Tbsp of Italian seasoning rather most of the individual spices listed above.

No comments :

Post a Comment